By Beth Anne Osborn, 2008
If you are new to tango or just new to Portland ValenTango, follow these simple guidelines and you’ll double your chances of getting Danced.
- Attend Classes at your ability level. Don’t make the mistake of taking classes that are beyond your grasp expecting to meet the “Good Dancers.” By choosing the right level class you are most likely to make friends with the people who are most likely to ask you for a dance.
- Good Connections begin by establishing a friendly rapport with your fellow classmates. Make a good impression with the other dancers in class by being friendly, helpful and never critical of their dancing abilities. Leave that to the instructors or their spouses! Never, ever talk while the instructor is speaking or teaching a step.
- Take advantage of the Free Practicas at the end of the day. This is the most likely place to meet other dancers at your skill level. Practice with as many different partners as possible. The Practica is a safe and non-threatening environment for new dancers. Use this atmosphere of goodwill and camaraderie to arrange for a Tanda or two at the evening’s Milonga with your favorite practice partners.
- Arrive at the Milongas early and get a table/seat adjacent to the busiest part of the dance floor. Ladies, remember you catch more flies with Honey than with vinegar, so SMILE and Look like you are having fun. A good attitude is your best marketing tool. Try to make eye contact with other dancers, “Cabaceo.” Remember,Tango is about the quality of the connection between you and your partner not the quantity of Bare skin you are sporting or the flashy clothes you are wearing.
- Respect and observe Milonga etiquette at all times. Attention Leaders: on crowded festival floors good NAVIGATION and FLOORCRAFT are the Keys to your popularity. Other dancers will be watching your moves on the dance floor. Make a good impression on your partner and the other dancers.
Comments and your reply to the above article and the poll below are encouraged. ( To include a profile picture in the Reply section, click on gravitar. To see results of earlier polls, go to Clay’s Polls.)