After compiling, weighting, interpreting and combining over 500 suggestions received from over 100 tangueros from the “Navigation and Etiquette Survey“, here are the Top 10 Navigation and Etiquette Rules:
(Click here for a small printable PDF file of these rules: Condensed Pocked-Size Nav & Etiquette Rules.)
- Maintain forward flow and never block nor move against Line Of Dance.
- Stay in your lane.
- Move up and fill gap between you and dancers in front of you
- Use cabaceo and politely accept refusals.
- Dance small appropriate figures.
- Keep eyes up, be aware, and avoid collisions.
- When crowded, seek permission to enter the floor.
- No talking, teaching, practicing or criticizing.
- At cortina, clear the floor and escort follower back to her place.
- Dress appropriately and have good hygiene.
- No matter whose at fault, apologize after a collision.
Now how about some suggestions on how the tango community and organizers can encourage adherence to these guidelines.